Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dinner in the Summer


With the summer being so hot I really hate to heat the kitchen
using the oven. As often as possible I cook dinner on the stove top, crock pot or on the grill.

A lot of my recipes are not true recipes, usually just things I have thrown together. Like tonight's,
  • chopped onions
  • chopped/minced garlic
  • smoked sausage (or polish sausage if you prefer)
  • can diced tomatoes. with the juice (fresh if you have them)
  • 16 oz. bag frozen mixed veggies, I used a gumbo mix (any mixed veggie or fresh veggie you have on hand will work)
  • a large spoonful apricot preserves
  • T. dried oregano
I used my wok but a good heavy skillet would work also. Saute the chopped onion & garlic till tender, add all other ingredients cooked until veggies are tender and tomatoes & apricot preserves make a thick sauce (add more preserves or liquid if needed).


Serve over rice.
You keep the kitchen cool, have everything in one bowl and only two pans to clean up.
You can change this recipe around to fit all your families favorites. If you don't like the smoked/polish sausage maybe use ham, left over pork tenderloin or chops. No apricot preserves, use some tomato paste, BBQ sauce anything to make a nice sauce. The possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

Irene said...

It must be delicious! Bon Appetit!